AIM: To provide strategic leadership and advocacy for children and young people’s health in London, and work in partnership to address pan-London challenges to giving children and young people the best start in life
ADPH London works with partners including London Directors and Assistant Directors of Children’s Services, London Councils, PHE London, NHSE London and Healthy London Partnership in addressing the pan-London challenges associated with the health of children and young people.
ADPH London hosts the Children and Young People (CYP) Network. The purpose of the Network is to:
- Provide a Continued Professional Development (CPD) development for London CYP Commissioners and Public Health CYP leads
- Share best practice and evidence base across London
- Allow opportunity/space for collaboration – Be a vehicle for disseminating key intelligence to CYP leads pan London to support the health improvement agenda and addressing health inequalities
We are also conducting a Sector Led Improvement (SLI) review of local authority responsibilities for Health Visiting (HV) and School Nursing (SN) services. In November 2018 ADPH London initiated an SLI review on HV and SN across local authorities in London as a self-assessment and peer-review approach to help inform service improvement. For over three years, the commissioning of these services came under the responsibility of Local Authorities without an evaluation. This review provides an opportunity to improve practice and outcomes of CYP HV and SN services whilst demonstrating transparency and accountability to key stakeholders.
This review provides an opportunity to improve practice and outcomes of CYP HV and SN services whilst demonstrating transparency and accountability to key stakeholders.
It is anticipated that the review can help inform improvements in HV and SN services at a local and regional level, which will lead to an improvement in health outcomes for CYP. The overarching aims of the SLI review are:
- To inform future standards for SN, HV and interface with other CYP services.
- To aid improved public health provision for children and young people across London
- To develop and strengthen partnership working with the ALDCS and support the development of a shared CYP agenda.
The objectives are:
- To develop a self-assessment tool in collaboration with Public Health and Children Services professionals, to review HV and SN practice in London
- To engage all (33) London boroughs in the CYP SLI thematic review
- To conduct a peer review process in line with the principles of SLI
- Identify and develop areas for improvement locally and across London for CYP
- To utilise the opportunity to strengthen collaboration between the London Directors of Public Health (DsPH) and Directors of Children’s Services (DsCS)
The project is split into the following three phases:
Progress to date (July 2020):
From November 2018 to March 2020, Phase 1 and part of Phase 2 was completed. In March 2020, the impact of the COVID-19 national lockdown led to a pause, reduction, and alternative forms of delivery of CYP services, a change in work capacity and staff redeployment. ‘Business as Usual’ (BAU) work including the SLI review project was paused to focus efforts on the COVID-19 pandemic. As we begin to come out of lockdown, and subject to a future COVID-19 outbreak we will look to remobilise the SLI review, considering the impact of the pandemic on delivery of this project, and HV and SN services.